POLITICAL PARTIES CODE OF CONDUCT
1. Political Parties Code of Conduct agreed to on 20th of October 2006 at a meeting on the code of conduct for political parties, candidates and supporters at the Miatta Conference Center and signed by the following political parties:
2. Nothing the recent violent past of Sierra Leone, and the need for continued peace, and given the desirability for a free. fair, peaceful and well - regulated election and the avoidance of aggravation of ethnic tension and political discord, we agree and accept:
a) That a code of conduct for political parties, taken to mean all registered political parties in Sierra Leone, will generally respect and contribute to the holding of a peaceful free and fair election.
b) To subscribe to the code of conduct and. to the very best of our ability, to comply with and to take all reasonable steps to ensure its full observance
c) To adhere/uphold conditions conducive to the conduct of free, fair and democratic elections within a climate of democratic tolerance in which political activities mat take place without fear of coercion, intimidation or reprisals.
APPLICATION OF THE CODE
3. In this code, “Political Parties” includes:
a) Any entity registered with the political parties registration commission as a political party
b) The leader, officials, candidates, members, agents, supporters. And representative of any entity that has subscribed to this to this code of conduct.
COMPLIANCE WITH THE CODE
4. All political parties that have subscribed to this code:
a) Are bound by the code, and must, therefore, instruct its leaders, officials, candidates and members to adhere to the terms of the code; and dissuade its supporters from breaching the code.
b) Will not make false, frivolous or vexatious complaints or generally abuse the right to complain about violations of the code,
5. The leader of a party that has subscribed to this code will instruct the party’s officials, candidates, members and supporters to observe the code and ensure compliance.